Hailing from the west of Ireland, Maria Kelly is an alt-folk artist whose music is layered with deeply personal and poignant experiences. Growing up surrounded by the music of Joni Mitchell & Lisa Hannigan, paired with influences like Daughter & Lucy Rose, she formed a unique and delicate sound that has garnered millions of streams worldwide.
In 2015, Maria began working with producer Matt Harris (VETA, HAVVK, Sive), leading to a number of critically acclaimed releases such as 'Stitches' and 'Torn Into Two'. Accompanied by shows across Europe supporting the likes of James Vincent McMorrow, KT Tunstall and Paul Noonan (Bell X1), Maria quickly became known for her heart-wrenching live performances, unassuming nature, and a 'pin-drop' vocal that is impossible to ignore. Maria's work has continued to gain momentum internationally, rallying support from Mahogany, Consequence of Sound, and The Line Of Best Fit along the way.
After laying a foundation in the Irish music scene, Maria relocated to Berlin in 2018, a life-changing move that inspired her four-track EP, ‘notes to self’. Her stint in Germany saw her join All The Luck In The World on a month-long European tour, followed by her debut TV appearance on Other Voices Ballina. Maria finished up the year with two sold-out shows supporting Villagers.
2019 saw the release of 'i leave early' - a captivating track that showcases Maria's continued development as an artist and one which quickly garnered more than a million streams on Spotify.
One graduation and a cross-country move later, Maria has relocated back to Dublin to quietly work on her debut album. The record promises to feature her most raw and palpable work to date, with the first single set for release before the end of the year.
H I G H L I G H T S
● Paul Noonan, support tours from May - September (Ireland)
● Dublin headline show, the Soundhouse
● 'Imagining Ireland' in the National Concert Hall, Dublin
● 'Imagining Ireland' in the Barbican, London
● Dublin headline show, The Fumbally Stables
● All Together Now
● Another Love Story
● Supported All The Luck In The World across sold-out European dates
● Other Voices Ballina, St. Michael's Church
● Ireland Music Week 2018
● Supported Villagers at two sold-out shows in Galway & Kilkenny
● The Irish Times', 50 People To Watch
● Other Voices 2017 - Winner of the IMRO Other Room Open Call
● Supported James Vincent McMorrow in Cork Opera House
● Supported Ailbhe Reddy, Servant Jazz Quarters, London
● Co-headline tour with Ailbhe Reddy (Ireland)
● The Great Escape 2017
● Support KT Tunstall at Golden Slippers
● 2000 Trees Festival
● Body & Soul Festival
● Hard Working Class Heroes 2017
● Electric Picnic 2017
● Sounds From a Safe Harbour Festival
● Supported Paul Noonan across 6 Irish Tour Dates
● Supported Marc Cohn in Vicar Street
● Supported Billie Marten at the Workman's Club
● Dublin headline show, The Workman's Club
● Daytrotter Session, London
● Supported HAVVK across Ireland & UK tour
● Supported Alice Phoebe Lou at the Workman's Club
● Other Voices Music Trail 2015
P R E S S
"..haunting, deep and intimate"
"There is an intimacy here which few singers get right this early in their career"
- The 405
"From every angle, Kelly’s art is an immersive experience, imbued with honesty and enthused with youthful exuberance. We love it."
"...she is able to conjure a swell of overwhelming feeling with little more than just her voice and the resonant constant of an accompanying guitar."
- The Line Of Best Fit
"......silky smooth vocals that spin widely relatable tales."
- Consequence of Sound
"..rich rubs of gentle sound and melancholic observations sung in a voice that is a silky, splendid thing."
- The Irish Times
"..poignant folk music at its very best"
"..she set herself apart as one of the most impressive alt-folk artists to come out of Ireland."
- Hot Press Magazine
Full PR coverage:
All photos by Zoë Holman